Professional Teeth Cleaning and Hygiene
People avoid going to the dentist for a variety of reasons. This could be for fear of pain, anxiety of hearing a drill, and belief that brushing and flossing at home is good enough. However, failure to go to the dentist may be harmful to your health. A professional teeth cleaning will not only promote a brighter and healthier smile, it will minimize the chance of developing gum disease, evaluate for tooth decay, and screen for cancer. It’s easier to fix and more cost effective to address an early dental issue before it becomes a major problem. The American Dental Association recommends professional cleanings to ensure healthy teeth and screening for oral cancer.
What are the advantages of professional cleanings?
- Prevent gum disease: First, professional cleanings can prevent periodontitis, or gum disease. Periodontitis is caused by plaque under the gums, which can lead to an inflammatory process that makes gums bleed and eventually leads to destruction of the underlying bone that holds your teeth in. If left untreated, gum disease can lead to tooth loss. As gum disease progresses, there are often no symptoms until irreversible damage to the gums and teeth has already occurred. At Smile Studios in Redmond, WA, your cleaning appointments will include an assessment of your gum health so that any issues that arise can be addressed before teeth are at risk of being lost.
- Remove stains: From a cosmetic standpoint, professional cleanings can remove most stains that dull and discolor your teeth. This will leave you with a more confident smile.
- Oral cancer screening: We screen for oral cancer with every professional cleaning. Oral cancer affects 40,000 patients a year. Oral Cancer may involve any part of the mouth (soft tissue of the oral cavity, tongue, cheeks, tonsils, throat, or any other part of the mouth). At Smile Studios, we perform oral cancer screening as a part of your semi-annual visits. With every visit,we look for cancer within 8 areas of the mouth. Earlier detection can lead to better treatment outcomes.
- Tartar Removal: Plaque can mineralize over time developing into a hard substance known as tartar. It tends to form in hard-to-reach places and will produce a thick coating on your teeth brushing can’t remove. We use a scaler tool to remove this from your teeth.
- Polishing your teeth: Although it feels good on the tongue to have smooth teeth, there is a purpose to polishing your teeth. Polishing your teeth smooths the surface and reduces the number of places that plaque and tartar can build up and cling to.
- Fluoride treatment: Your will have the option of getting a fluoride treatment. Fluoride is an important part of maintaining strong and healthy teeth, and its often applied in the form of a gel, liquid, or foam during your cleaning process.
- Early detection of tooth problems: With a semi-annual professional cleaning, we can detect tooth problems earlier, reducing chances for them to grow into worse situations that require more invasive, costly, and time-consuming treatment. Cavities can be caught early preventing infections. Broken fillings and fractures can be caught before root canal or extraction is required. This can save not only time and money in the long run, but also preserve your natural tooth structure.
What is involved in the professional cleaning?
We look at a variety of things as discussed above. These include:
- Evaluating for signs of gum disease
- 8-area examination of mouth for cancer
- Taking x-rays to evaluate for cavities or any other abnormalities
- Check for damaged fillings
- Check for loose or broken teeth
- Check for wear of enamel
- Check your bite
- Fluoride treatment
- Tartar removal
- Polishing your teeth
As you can see, there is so much more to a professional dental cleaning than just a “cleaning.” Research shows that there is a correlation between poor oral health and conditions such as cardiovascular disease, diabetes, and premature or low birth rate. It’s important to remember that your oral health has a big impact on your overall health.
Most dental insurance plans cover dental cleanings. If you do not have dental insurance, we offer affordable specials for exams and cleanings at Smile Studios.We’d be glad to set up an appointment for you for a dental exam and cleaning -you can reach us at 425-553-4480. You can also book online at www.smilestudiosredmond.com. We are here to answer any questions you may have regarding the cleaning appointment, dental insurance coverage, or anything else regarding you dental care.